UPDATE 7: Screw the dual audio version. Translating the DLCs was more effort than this game is worth.
– I wanted to subtitle the OPs but they’re more bitrate-starved than Japanese TV transport streams and the RAD Video Tools offer no option to keep the audio stream untouched
– I’d need to either rewrite my packing tools or replace files manually like I did at the beginning to solve the problems of UPDATE 2
– Since there is no structure in the game files at all, I have no idea how to de-censor that one Agria scene
– Everyone who wanted Japanese audio already downloaded the undub anyway
UPDATE 6: DLC translation is complete now. Tales of Xillia (EU) Translated JP Base DLC 0.9.pkg (Details)
UPDATE 5: 1.01 has been out for a while now. It fixes any possible increased loading times of the BETA1. Not more, not less. DLC is being worked on.
UPDATE 4: Working on the DLC now. The goal is to translate all DLCs to all EU languages.
If you can help with Spanish, Italian or feel like editing the English translation, drop by at #toxundub@Rizon
UPDATE 3: Apparently the solution was to move all audio files to the beginning of the archive. Oh well, enjoy Tales of Xillia UNDUB BETA1 READNFO PS3. I’m still planning to make some additions and release another version, though.
UPDATE 2: OK, so we kind of figured out what sort of problem it is that’s preventing all necessary files from being replaced but that’s about it. So far you only get an undub if you accept 1 of this:
– no sound effects and music in some cutscenes
– about 200 scenes still being in English
– either no voices or game crash in about 10 scenes of the game
– all images being Japanese
Sounds random? It is. Stay tuned!
UPDATE: Seems like I joined the guys at PS3 NEWS to solve the remaining certain-cutscenes-only-have-voices problem. Unfortunately, everything so far has been unsuccessful. There is a limitation somewhere which prevents us from replacing all audio files but we’re still unsure about what or where it is.
Since the EU version is out, I tried my luck but as expected it’s not that easy to undub. Well, I only had 1 try since repacking the files with my tools is a pain.
To explain it a bit: Most files of the game are in one huge 2 GB archive and then there’s its header file that stores some additional information. To replace any files inside, you first need to extract the archive with the information from the header file, as well as store its additional information in a temp file, then replace the files you want and edit the temp file so its contents match the replaced files. This can be confusing since there is no folder structure and the filenames are just auto-generated numbers which don’t even match those from the Japanese version. Finally, you need to rebuild the archive as well as a new header file and test it.
Now what I got after replacing some files which looked related to audio were:
– Japanese Small and Fighting Chat voices
– Japanese cutscene voices
– Japanese battle voices
– still English player select (at the very beginning) voices
– no sound effects (I don’t remember if there should’ve been music) on the first cutscene
I didn’t play until the first Long Chat so no idea about that. Anime scenes are easy to replace and should work just fine although I didn’t try it.
The guys over at PS3 NEWS seem to have similar results and are working at a quite fast pace so it may be pointless for me to continue. There are a lot of things I’d like to edit in this game apart from undubbing it but Namco really doesn’t make it easy.
Oh well, enough for today since it’s almost 4 a.m.. Time to encode PreCure before I fall asleep on the keyboard…